HIPAA provides patients with several rights, all described in our Notice of Privacy Practices. The Health Information Management Department works with our HIPAA Privacy Office, clinical departments, and physicians to facilitate requests related to your rights under HIPAA. These rights include:
- The right to request a copy of your medical records from Washington University Physicians for yourself or for us to send a copy of your records to a third party, such as another physician.
- The right to request an amendment to your medical record(s) if you find we have documented something in error. These requests are reviewed by the Health Information Management Department and the treating provider.
- The right to request a restriction on an internal use or external disclosure of your Protected Health Information.
- The right to request confidential communications of your Protected Health Information.
- The right to request a restriction on disclosures of your health information to your health plan. Applicable only for those services where insurance is not billed; patient pays in full out of pocket at the time of the visit.